Let’s see… We’ve got two straight-up wins. A crushing loss. And a game where the team managed to snatch victory from the jaws of…. victory.
Can we draw any conclusions after a handful of games? Well, other than some thoughts about that bullpen. We’re not going to touch it in this column because we’re a family blog.
But don’t cha just love all the pundits who are selecting their winners for Rookie of the Year, Cy Young and MVP even before a single pitch has been thrown? It’s called lack of imagination and being lazy. Don’t even get me started on that folly.
So I’m not going to make any assumptions at all about this season. Not just yet. In part, because it’s way too early. And also, because half this team wasn’t around for most of Spring Training due to the WBC. This team really hasn’t gelled yet nor gotten its rhythm as a group.
But you should know me by now. I ask a lot of questions. And sometimes the questions are more telling than the answers. So let’s kick off the new season by asking some questions that will eventually get answered sometime this season. Hopefully.
Here are my Top 10 – for the moment. Next week, I may have a different set of questions.
1. Was Anibal Sanchez moved to the bullpen more for his lack of performance as a starter or more for the realization that the bullpen was a hot mess?
2. If the Tigers return to their habit of failing to score runners they put on base, will Brad move VMart down in the order once JD returns?
3. Is it reasonable to expect that the 3 young arms in the rotation won’t start to show some hiccups due to their inexperience?
4. How much pressure will Ausmus face to play Alex Avila more if McCann goes into a hitting slump given that his boss is Avila’s dad?
5. Can Avila afford to wait until JD returns before addressing what passes for defense in RF?
6. Which will see call-ups first: RF or the BP?
7. How much playing time will JaCoby Jones continue to get in CF, esp. if he goes into a protracted hitting slump?
8. If Jordan Zimmermann’s struggles continue, how long will it take for the Tigers to have a complete diagnosis done on him?
9. How long a leash will the Tigers give Bruce Rondon if his performances remain uneven?
10. How many weeks or months before the organization calls up Anthony Gose to be the 8th inning guy? (Just kidding.)
Can you add to this list of questions?
If you’re not yet on Twitter, you need to be! It is so much more than 140 characters. Totally Tigers presents the best articles, videos, pictures and radio/tv interviews for the most relevent news on the Tigers not found easily or locally. We do all the work for you and bring you the latest news as it breaks. And we’ll always leave you thinking. Read us in the morning and get updates on the latest news throughout the day on Twitter.
– Tons of video on all the top Tigers
– In the batting cage with Nick(olas)
– More CF shopping rumors
– Good news on Bruce Rondon
– Jones imitating Kinsler
– Updates on all the news and injuries hours before the newspapers report it
– JV’s killer commercial
– What JV and Lolich have in common
– The New Kaline mural
– Bat flips have been replaced with ????
– McCann’s interview evaluating all the young pitching talent