By: Kurt Snyder
With pitchers and catchers now having reported for duty, there is a lot to fill the list of monthly thoughts. February’s version of 20 Thoughts awaits you below.
1. There is not a single pitcher expected to make this team who isn’t considered healthy. Can it be?
2. There are at least 2 pitchers in the starting rotation who we pray will stay healthy. Can I say that in back-to-back sentences?
3. Why do reporters want to know why Rondon was sent home last season? I would like to hear from him what the new Bruce will look like.
4. Tommy John surgery experiment #2 on its way. First fail was Joel Hanrahan. Will Bobby Parnell wipe away the memory?
5. Is Mike Pelfrey the #4 starter based on experience and cost? Because even with that, I consider him #5.
6. Oh, speaking of Parnell, let’s keep the term “100 mph fastball” out of spring training.
7. The win projection for this team is woefully low. Why is that Brad?
8. Even if the worst happens, I don’t consider Kirk Gibson a managerial candidate. Interim or not.
9. If the Tiger pitchers give up more home runs this season, how quickly will we blame the new pitching coach and his more aggressive approach?
10. The Tigers most important starter? Anibal Sanchez. (Yes this is a carryover from January.)
11. Joakim Soria was a nice luxury to have with closer experience when needed. Who’s that guy this year?
12. Here’s an old topic still on my mind. Teams are shifting their best hitters to #2 in the order. Miggy and his “speed” would just be silly in that spot.
13. The silence on Jose Iglesias has been deafening. Don’t know what to make of it.
14. Is JD Martinez still earning a new contract? Or is it official that we have discovered a perennial All-Star?
15. Many feel Castellanos is ready for a breakout season at the plate. He had better.
16. Bobby Parnell should not be a candidate for the Opening Day roster. Tell him now and let him get ready to contribute later in the season.
17. Are the Tigers feeling heat to retire 1 and 3? Expect it soon.
18. With Miggy back to full strength, everyone will be waiting for the customary power to return.
19. Most important bat? VMart. He is the piece that completes the puzzle.
20. This is still buggin’ me. How do you project a team to be just above .500 when they have aggressively improved all their weakest areas?